Clean ductwork plays a critical role in indoor air quality but, unfortunately, the public perception of duct cleaning services has been diminished by marketing scams that entice people to make an appointment, only to be upsold on services that double the original quote.
Don’t let these schemes cause you to devalue a service that can make a difference in the health and wellbeing of your loved ones and customers. At Vacu-man, we have been a trusted provider of speciality duct cleaning services to homes and businesses in and around Burlington, Oakville, Hamilton, Grimsby, Stoney Creek, and Dundas for over 40 years. In this blog, we give you honest answers to the following questions:
- How often is duct cleaning required?
- Are there any factors that affect the cleaning schedule?
- What are the benefits of air duct cleaning?
How often is duct cleaning required?
The National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) recommends that duct cleaning be done every three to five years, but it’s always a good idea to watch for signs that your ductwork isn’t in ideal shape. For example:
- Excessive dust throughout your home or business
- Dust buildup around your vents
- Debris around the filter area
- Reduced air flow
- A musty odour in the duct system
- Visible rodent infestation
If you notice any of these issues, call a professional duct cleaning company that will help you address these issues before they evolve into serious health hazards.
Are there any factors that affect the cleaning schedule?
There are factors and events that may require you to schedule a thorough duct cleaning sooner rather than later. Below is an overview of the more common considerations.
Climate can affect how quickly dirt and allergens contaminate the system. For example:
- During the frigid Ontario winters, you likely run your furnace constantly to keep your home or business warm. Constant furnace operation causes dust and debris to build up in HVAC air ducts.
- Melting snow and ice can cause moisture to seep into your ductwork during the spring. Left untreated, this water can develop into mold and mildew. Once these particles become airborne, moving air can blow them into your home or building.
- Southwestern Ontario is known for its high winds. When dust, dirt, pollen, and other allergens are blown around the places where you live and work, they can end up in your HVAC system, creating misery for allergy sufferers, the elderly, and people with existing medical conditions like asthma.
Moving into a new home
If you’ve bought a new home, there’s no guarantee that the previous owners had the ductwork professionally cleaned before you took possession. If they were smokers or had pets and anyone in your family has allergies, their first few days in the new property can be unpleasant. Scheduling a pre-move in duct cleaning can eliminate any dirt and particles that can interfere with your family’s health and ability to enjoy the new home.
New construction or remodeling
Although the end results may be beautiful, construction is a messy business. Whether you’re building a new home or renovating your business address to accommodate growth, construction debris can get into your ductwork each time the HVAC system comes on, causing discomfort and potentially leading to serious health issues.
Pets in your home
If you own multiple pets, you will need to clean your ducts as often as every six months. Pet hair can clog vents, impeding air flow, causing your AC unit to run overtime, and even capturing bacteria and debris that can be pushed back into the home and cause respiratory problems for your family later on.
Residents or employees with allergies
If any of your family members or employees suffer from allergies, seasonal cleaning may be warranted to clean away pollen, animal dander, and other allergens that affect health and productivity.
What are the benefits of regular duct cleaning?
The biggest benefit of routine air duct cleaning is, of course, cleaner indoor air. Once your residential or commercial duct system has been professionally cleaned, it reduces the amount of dust that circulates, resulting in a healthier place to live and work. Other benefits include:
- Improved air flow
- A more hygienic living and working environment
- Reduction in allergens and irritants
- Elimination of unpleasant smells and odours
Let us help your family and customers breathe easier
At Vacu-Man, we are committed to delivering the highest-value ductwork cleaning services to residential and commercial clients. We will help you safeguard your home or business from the risky ramifications of dirty air ducts, making it possible for you to maintain excellent air quality at an affordable price. For a free and honest estimate, call us today at 905.333.5454 or contact us online through our Book Now or Free Estimate forms.