Why Should You Clean Your Dryer Vents
Apart from being functional, there are so many reasons why you need to keep your dryer vents clean. Proper cleaning will overall improve your dryer’s efficiency and life span saving you a few extra hundred dollars in the long run. The dryer vent has so many other functions besides transferring heat from your dryer. Another big reason to clean your dryer vent is that if the dryer vent is not cleaned, it can potentially circulate heat, dust, and other particles throughout your home. The need to keep your vents clean cannot be overemphasized. Let’s take a look at what you need to know in regards to dryer vent cleaning.
Indications That Your Dryer Vent Needs Cleaning
Unfortunately, not everyone knows when their dryer vents need cleaning. Below are basic signs that indicate that your vent is due for a cleaning:
- It takes longer than usual for your clothes to get dry
- Your clothing and the exterior of your dryer gets very hot
- When you find debris around the dryer nose
- The vent hood flap doesn’t open properly
- When you start noticing a strange burning smell on your clothes
- The laundry room becomes very hot when the dryer is running
Besides all these points, if you don’t remember the last time you cleaned your dryer vent or it’s been way over a year since you last cleaned it, you should probably consider hiring a professional to deep clean your dryer vents.
How Often Do You Need to Clean Your Dryer Vent?
Most experts believe that you should clean your dryer vents at least once a year. Frequent cleaning is recommended to maintain the efficiency of the dryer; considering the disadvantages of not cleaning the dryer vent. One thing to keep in mind, the size of the vent will determine how often you need to clean the ventilation.
- Family Size: The bigger the family the bigger the load. The size of your family will determine how many loads of clothes you have to wash and how frequently. Therefore the more you use the dryer the amount of lint that will accumulate on your dryer vent increases too. Due to that factor, the dryer vents need to be cleaned more frequently.
- Presence of Pets: With pets around, the possibility of the vents getting clogged is higher compared to a pet free home. Most breeds of cats and dogs shed, leading to more fur and hair getting stuck to your clothes which will eventually clog the vent over time. Consequently, you need to clean the dryer vents more often because of that reason.
- New Clothes: Experts through various researches suggest that new clothes generate more lints than old ones. So if you’re someone who likes to purchase new clothes often, then you need to consider cleaning your vents more often.
Benefits of Cleaning them Regularly
By now, you may have come across a few benefits of cleaning your dryer vents prior. However, there is more! In fact, cleaning your dryer vents could potentially save a life.
- Energy: The efficiency of the dryer vent is improved when it is cleaned often. The amount of energy used by the dryer will reduce drastically. As a matter of fact, homeowners that constantly clean their dryer vents save up to 30 percent on energy bills. Cleaning your dryer vents is practically an investment.
- Maintenance Cost: Constant cleaning reduces the likelihood of overheating and clogging of the system. In the long run, it will reduce the cost of maintaining the dryer. It is less likely to break-down or have technical issues down the road.
- Fire Outbreak: Lint and other clothing fibers are highly flammable. If the lint accumulates on the vent, it may cause a fire outbreak if there is overheating or a spark generated. Constantly cleaning your dryer vent will prevent the lint from building up, therefore ultimately preventing a fire outbreak.
- Wear and Tear: Regular cleaning of the dryer vent also prevents wear and tear of the system. Moreover, lint can make it work twice as hard to keep your clothes dry. Hence why sometimes your clothes don’t come out fully dried. Excessive strain can make crucial parts of the system wear and tear very fast.
Do I Need to Hire a Professional for a Dryer Vent Cleaning?
Cleaning your air vent on a regular basis is an important part of maintenance. While it can be a relatively simple task for small residential dryer vents, larger systems or those that haven’t been cleaned for a while may require professional assistance. This is especially true if your dryer vents through the roof. Vacu-Man offers professional dryer vent cleaning services and can assess your entire system to ensure that it is working safely and efficiently. Hiring a professional can prevent further damage and ensure that any underlying issues are addressed. If you’re unsure about how to clean your air vent, it’s always a good idea to seek professional assistance
Call Vacu-Man for a free estimate. With over 40 decades of experience, Vacu-Man is your best bet. Vacu-Man was established in 1979 and currently provides dryer vent cleaning and other services throughout Ontario. With their many years of experience, they can surely get the job done right and efficiently. Visit Vacu-Man for more details on their services.